Green gram powder is my latest find and I have been using it on my face and hair. It is all natural has no chemicals and surprisingly cleanses the hair very well.
Is moong dal good for hair? Moong Dal has vitamins B and C, proteins, calcium, magnesium and fibre. Green gram or Moong Dal can help prevent dandruff, prevent flakiness, cleanse the scalp and promote hair growth. Replace your shampoos with moong dal as it is really beneficial for the hair.
I have done some research and here are some ways you can use green gram to cleanse your hair, keep the scalp clean and promote hair growth.
What you will find here
- 0.1 How do you prepare green gram powder at home?
- 0.2 How do you wash hair with green gram?
- 0.3 How to Prevent Green Gram from drying the hair
- 0.4 Traditional Methods of Washing Hair using Moong dal
- 0.5 How to Wash Oily Hair Without Shampoo
- 0.6 Green Gram Powder for Hair Dandruff
- 0.7 How to Stop Hair Fall and Regrow Hair Naturally
- 1 Related Questions
How do you prepare green gram powder at home?
Preparing green gram powder is very easy. In my village we purchase green gram and wash it and dry it in the sun. It should be totally crisp ( no moisture). Once it is dry, grind it into a fine powder using a mixie.
This powder is stored in an airtight container and can be used in the hair, as a face wash and as a body wash.
I live in a humid place and we do not get direct sunlight. I just purchase green gram powder nowadays.
How do you wash hair with green gram?
The simplest and easiest way to wash hair with green gram is to take a little of the powder, mix it with water to make a paste.
Wet your hair and massage this paste into the hair. Work your way outwards from the scalp down to the ends. I leave it in for a few minutes and wash it off. The hair is squeaky clean.
One issue I sometimes notice is that my hair dries out and here are a few ways to avoid that.
How to Prevent Green Gram from drying the hair
- Oil your hair before applying green gram or mung dal powder to the hair. I notice that when my hair is oily because of traveling or general pollution then my hair does not dry out ( after washing with green gram).
- Mix Buttermilk or curd with green gram powder. Curd will prevent the scalp and hair from drying out, also the scalp gets cleaned.
- Mix Coconut milk with the mung dal powder. Coconut milk nourishes the hair and the hair will feel luxurious and rich.
- Mix moong dal powder with egg white, this will also help prevent the hair from drying out.
Another tip to prevent hair from drying out is to apply a dab of oil to the wet hair after washing. I just take a few drops of coconut oil or olive oil and rub it into my palms and runit through the wet hair.
Be gentle while doing this. This locks the moisture in and the hair literally looks shiny. I have also used jojoba oil. I did not notice any difference for my hair ( hair growth etc) but I did notice that is I apply a few drops to my face, my face glows.
Traditional Methods of Washing Hair using Moong dal
All of my mothers family had thick long hair. Even I had very long hair till I chopped it off in high school. My teacher actually wept when she saw my short hair.
Sadly I never could grow it back to that length ever. Short hair is easier to manage, especially as a mum and if you have to rush to the office.
I spoiled my hair using curlers, perming it and coloring it. Bad eating habits and lack of proper sleep resulted in some serious health issues and one of the worst hair fall.
I started having bald spots and I never knew if I could ever get back my hair. Praying and taking care of my eating and health, has reversed my hair loss. I also stopped using chemicals like hair dyes and shampoos.
Now my hair shines ( literally) and the only shampoo I use is Moong dal or green gram powder.
Here are some other ways I wash my hair when I feel like experimenting or want to pamper myself.
- Mix Fenugreek Powder, Shikakai powder and Moong Dal powder with water. Apply this paste to the hair. Rinse off after a few minutes.
- Mix Shikakai powder with moong dal powder using coconut milk. Apply the paste to the scalp and hair. Rinse after a few minutes.
- Mix Moong dal powder with soap nut liquid and leave it in the hair. Rinse off after a few minutes. I just totally love soap nuts. They make the hair shine and very clean. They do tend to dry my hair so I don’t use them often. Also I forget to soak them in advance ( otherwise these are the best option).
How to Wash Oily Hair Without Shampoo
Oily hair can be washed really effectively using natural cleansers which also promote hair growth.
Make your own hair wash powder by mixing in the following ingredients in powdered form.
- Mix Green Gram powder, Shikakai Powder, Curry Leaves Powder, Hibiscus flowers powder and Soap Nut Powder. You can skip the curry leaves and Hibiscus if you cant access them. If your hair isn’t too oily you can skip the soap nuts. Mix this with water and use it as a shampoo.
- Mix Greengram powder with amla powder and soap nuts powder. Make a paste with water and apply to the hair and rinse off.
Green Gram Powder for Hair Dandruff
Green gram powder mixed with water and applied to the scalp can reduce and eventually eliminate dandruff. It is such a simple yet effective solution against dandruff. I have even mixed it with raw turmeric powder and used it on my scalp.
Not only did it stop my scalp from itching, it also got rid of dandruff.
You can also add curd or coconut milk for this treatment. It will nourish the scalp and get rid of the dandruff.
How to Stop Hair Fall and Regrow Hair Naturally
You can apply methi seed hair mask to the hair to arrest hair fall and regrow hair.
This is one hair mask which is used a lot in my village. The temperatures are very high in my village. Methi seeds cools the head and also promote hair growth.
Methi seeds ( fenugreek seeds) have Nicotonic acid, proteins and and lecithin. Lecithin makes the hair follicles stronger and moisturizes the hair.
Note: Soya beans also have lecithin which can help with hair regrowth
Nicotonic Acid or Niacin is a water soluble organic compound which improves blood circulation, hence it prevents the hair from falling and hair thinning.
There are a couple of ways you can use methi seeds.
- Soak the methi seeds in water overnight and grind them into a paste. Apply the paste (mixed with green gram four) to the hair. If you have long hair, just concentrate on the roots and scalp area. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off.
- Mix Methi powder with green gram flour and water. Apply the paste to the scalp. Leave it for sometime and rinse off.
All organic natural recipes take time to show results. You must be patient and trust the process.
What sprouts are good for hair?
Sprouts are rich in protein which is the building blocks for cells. It is believed that methi sprouts, moong dal sprouts are good for promoting hair growth. Brussel sprouts are rich in sulphur and this is supposed to be good for hair growth.
Can besan be used to wash hair?
Yes besan can be used to wash hair. I have used it and except for the smell I have had no issues with it. You can mix it with curd or coconut milk for better results.
I have noticed that besan does cling to my hair and is a little difficult to get off the hair.
- 10 Amazing Green Gram Packs For Hair Growth, Dandruff, Hair Fall
- Is Face Mask Good for your Skin
- Dry Skin Around Nails – Causes, Prevention & Cure
- How to Take Care of Oily Skin After 30
- How to Make Skin Less Oily Throughout The Day