I love henna and have thought about colouring my hair with henna, but backed out when I saw it turned my hair red and orange. I wanted darker tones more like brown and black.
I stopped using henna for a while and used so many types of hair colours and damaged my hair so bad. Hair colours not only made my hair look lifeless, they stripped it off its natural oils.
Premature greying set in along with hair loss. So now I am back to henna but I want my hair dark so I did what every crazy lady bent on finding the answers does. She googles it and I have found the perfect solution for my hair.
The secret to making henna stain dark brown is to use a powder called indigo
I love how the hair shines when you use henna and the fact that indigo ensures that you dont get the red colour.
What you will find here
Is indigo powder safe for your hair ?
Yes indigo powder is safe because it is a natural dye. Indigofera Tinctoria is a shrub with pinkish-blue flowers. The leaves of this shrub are dried and powdered. Indigo isblackish blue, henna is orangish red, combining these two colours you can create a whole spectrum of browns to black.
Additional benefit is that indigo has anti-bacterial properties and is non toxic.
Where to buy indigo for hair ?
I would recommend powders which are pure and totally chemical or pesticide free and processed pure like Neelamari Pure Indigo Leaf Powder.
This is pure indigo and has been sourced from farms, hence fresh and pure.
How to use indigo powder for grey hair ?
There are two methods people use to apply indigo to hair. Hmmm actually 3.
Mix indigo powder with hot water. Apply directly to hair. This will colour the hair greenish or blackish blue. I do not recommend this method. You will end up with a nasty tinge of hair colour.
Mix henna as shown in video.
Once henna paste is ready, mix indigo powder with hot water and 2 tb-spoon of salt. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Mix indigo paste and henna paste thoroughly. Apply to the hair immediately. Leave on hair for 1 hour or the entire night. Rinse off.
Mix henna paste. Apply on hair and leave it on for 1 hour or overnight. Rinse off.
Now prepare a mixture of indigo powder with hot water and salt. Apply to the hair. Leave on for 1 hour or more. Rinse off.
I use method 2 for coloring my hair with henna and indigo.
Tips – How to apply henna and indigo on hair
Here are some tips while using henna and indigo on the hair. These are tried and tested so pay attention 🙂
- Apply vaseline or a thick cream on the forehead and behind and on ears if you are light skinned. The stains do show.
- Use gloves to avoid staining fingers.
- Use fresh henna, old henna doesnt stain properly.
- Soak henna for 4 hours. I used to soak overnight. The colour starts breaking down if you store it long. 4 hours seems to work best. Check if it is ready by looking for a change in colour in the paste.
- Soak henna in warm water and use something acidic to break down the colour. So mix henna with lemon juice or tea water or coffee water.
- Soak indigo in hot water.
- Let indigo rest so that it releases colour
- Use salt while making indigo paste. Some say salt releases or activates colour. The real reason salt is used, is to make the colour penetrate into the hair.
- Do not let indigo paste sit for long. Once you mix it, use within 10 minutes.
- If you use method 2 above, make sure you mix the indigo paste and henna paste really well, otherwise the colouring wont be uniform.
- Use 50% henna and 50% indigo powder to get black or dark brown to clack colour.
- Use lesser indigo powder to get different shades of brown.
I have been using the henna indigo mixture for 1 month now. Here are some advantages I find in using indigo with henna over commercial hair dyes.
- Once I started using hair dyes, I just couldnt stop. I was unable to keep up with the rate at which the hair started greying. I feel hair dyes start hair greying.
- Hair dyes stink, they are loaded with chemicals, even those no ammonia ones, I feel all are full of chemicals.
- Hair fall was another issue I had with hair dyes. Using henna has controlled my hair fall.
Best Indigo powder for Hair in India
- This is a natural product.
- You get gloves and a shower cap
- No chemicals or preservatives
- Packaging is in aluminium foil, vacuum sealed to maintain freshness